Friday 1 April 2011

Day Two- The Day of Making Things Beautiful


Day TWO- The day of making things beautiful

Today was the final day of set-up as the festival starts tomorrow so it was all hands on deck to make it perfect. When we left last night we pretty much had all the books in the right places, so it was a case of getting them out on the tables in a way that wouldn't look like we got bored halfway through or a stampede of elephants had decided to roam wild. Instead they became pretty abstract displays and symmetrical pyramids.

For me, the majority of my day was spent making books into pyramids or circle displays, if you head down you'll see what I mean! I nearly had a massive freak out moment when a table I'd spent hours working on was moved slightly, I was like NOOOOO please don't move the books, step away from the books, step away slowly. But all was well in the end. Today I must admit has been extremely tiring. You really don't know how much moving boxes can wear you out. If I was asked to hold the remote control to the TV tonight I think my muscles would scream out in protest!

The funniest moment of today has to be the table of horror. Imagine a lot of heavy books, on one little poor (well actually it is quite big) table. Then imagine a room full of booksellers jumping around to check the tables were stable. I Wish I had the guts to take pictures of them all doing it, then I could have posted it up for you all to see.

Talking of photos to start the blog properly, I've added some pictures. As you can see the day started off messy, but as it progressed we got it all in to shape.

For me my real festival fun starts Monday, but for my colleagues it all starts tomorrow at 9am. Let the show begin!

The Pictures




A masterpiece in progress...


Before the jumping theory and one of the displays a co-worker and myself made for the new Tate publication of Alice in Wonderland with illustrations by Tove Jansson (MOOMIN!)



A full view of the Marquee


A-Z section and table hi-lights!



No comments:

Post a Comment