Tuesday 5 April 2011

So I think I cursed us all...

Today I decided to write as it happened, below is a day put together in time slots. Enjoy reading away.

Book Addict

10-11AM

It's raining today. I guess I should be grateful it's not chucking it down. But I did start my day off with one wet sock, how annoying! So my first event of the day, outside Room 2 again, was Deyan Sudjic. I recognise his books from my time working in the Art shop, he writes Design and Architecture books, his latest being the Biography of the Architect Norman Foster. Before the event I decided to speak to Deyan, it was a bit too quiet in the hallway for my liking. So I asked how he was feeling and that it was a shame I couldn't come in for his talk (for Room 2 we display the books outside the room) of which he replied "that's very kind of you". He gets my author thumbs up. He even asked if I worked for Blackwell's in a kind way. We started talking about his book being green, I said that that publishers are missing out, the fact that his book was green is spot on, there are so many books on a shelf and automatically you're drawn to the green. A volunteer asked if his favourite colour was green, Deyan lifted his trousers to show... you guessed it, green socks. Apparently it's Norman's favourite colour... sock to book co-ordination, love it!

12PM

2nd event of the day= Julie Summers. Yes I see you thinking "but she did yesterday!" Well she did, but this time the event was all hers. She writes historical non-fiction books based around war time. Her latest is When the Children Came Home, about how children had to get used to their old lives after being evacuated off to another part of the country for safety. Ironically after I write this I'm off to read Goodnight Mister Tom.

I had a chat with Julie before she went in, the woman is a writing legend. She writes these thoroughly researched novels in a period of time that I would be able to write a page. I'm jealous, very jealous. This is why she is the historical researcher and I am not! Additional note, the front cover is great, well done to the designers at Simon & Schuster.

I want to 'Big Up' the gentlemen who work for Christ Church as Porters. They guard the grounds and are so sweet. I've had many little conversations in passing and they really are lovely guys. I can imagine a festival is hectic to keep in order, especially with tourists still coming and going. It makes it fun when you hear "you're off running around again" in the background.


Christ Church Quad

2-4PM


The gap. I spent this time serving customers in the Marquee. I did go snappy happy when I first went in before I had lunch. David Nicholls, author of One Day was signing copies so grabbed a few amatuer shots. David kindly stayed and missed his train because there were too many fans wanting to have his book signed. There was also a VSI talk going on, you know the free ones I spoke about yesterday. A nice little full on debate with an audience member happened- only in Oxford I swear.


David Nicholls VSI talks

I've served some cool customers today. We <3 our customers. One in particular was the gentleman who spoke to me whilst waiting for his wife to leave the Julie Summers event and then bought books later. He gave me a welcoming conversation exactly when I needed it.

4-5PM

Map of the Nation.

Map of the Nation, Rachel Hewitt's book was one of our key titles at Christmas time, lots of people grabbed this book then. Due to her leaving in a rush I didn't really have lots of time to talk but she seemed nice.

Rain's stopped, HUZZAH.

THE END

Tomorrow the random fun continues. If I was to say, tomorrow it's not going to be sunny, would it be? I must try this theory to repeat it as I fall asleep tonight.

Sorry I'm so tired I'm going to fall asleep, links to it will be added after the event!

No comments:

Post a Comment