Saturday 9 April 2011

Thursday Part 2

The last event I worked thursday was Frank Close talking about his book Neutrinos. I was shocked by how interested I was in this event. I've never been a girl for science, the Arts was where my heart was and I never really understood all the different aspects of science. But this event was out of this world, I understood it and I enjoyed it. Frank was an amazing speaker, lucky Oxford students who study Physics and have him!

Frank started off his talk but mentioning he works in Exeter and his office looks out at where Inspector Morse died and joked around saying he wasn't there then though and didn't do it. ha! He used a slideshow throughout, which I thought was great, it was images, which all really explained what is primarily a very hard subject to discuss and understand. One of the pictures was a hand drawn one of Homer Simpson standing on earth to help show that there are 2*38 0's particles from the sun floating around and that we have 40 million of them passing through us. They are things that are there but we just can't see them. He made a joke comparing winning the lottery to Neutrinos and the project Poltergeist (the name of the first main project to work out it the particles existed). He then later went on to talk about Super K in Japan, a place where they do the experiments there. It's stunning and weird piece of architectural art performing this deep experiment that changes the way we understand the world to exist. It's pretty darn cool.

To end it he said a really interesting quote which I wrote down "Nature knows the answer's we don't know yet." Don't you just wish sometimes nature would share the information?!

Overall thursday was a great day...


No comments:

Post a Comment